Duration of surgery
Duration of hospitalization
Length of stay in hotel
Chin implant is prostheses or three-dimensional solids used to change the size of individual areas of the face and thus harmonize their features. Many types of implants are available in different materials, from wax or ivory to plastic. Typically, the doctor implants them under a general anesthetic.
Chin implants use in plastic, aesthetic and restorative surgery to improve the proportion and harmony of the face, correct deformations and congenital malformations, or rehabilitate or replace structures and deformed parts. In practice, chin implants used in maxillofacial surgery are placed in the affected area to correct the chin structure or line, which can also cause chewing problems, to improve the fixation of the bones to bring the chin and cheekbones forward, and to adapt more to the cheek area. Depending on the goal you want to achieve with chin implants and the case’s complexity, the surgeon may require a combination of implant and prosthesis to reconstruct the affected area.
To a lesser extent, you can also use these implants to mask wrinkles, scars, and other skin imperfections on the chin. The technique of the procedure varies according to the area to treat. For example, for chin implants, the specialist makes an incision from mouth height to the chin to insert the implants and an incision under the cheeks for the implant.
Seeing bruising and swelling in the treated area after a chin implant in Turkey is normal. These will disappear after a few weeks. After a few months, the swelling disappears completely, showing the final result. To prevent infections after surgery, you should not consume alcohol, and you should not avoid smoking. We recommend that you avoid contact sports or activities that may expose the patient to the risk of being shot for the first few weeks.
What is a Chin Implant?
The chin implant involves using implants to correct the protrusion and shape of the chin. So you can convert both lagging and protruding chins. For chin implants, the surgeon may use different techniques.
Who are Ideal Candidates for Chin Implant?
The chin plays a vital role in appearance. In conversation with our fellow humans, you can say that the chin has an excellent signal value. Thus, a person with a large and prominent chin usually indicates firmness of character and strength, while a person with a small, retracted chin usually indicates the opposite.
However, this will ultimately depend on how the chin’s protrusion and shape harmonize with the face’s general appearance. Gender differences can also significantly impact whether the chin is compatible with other facial features. In addition to correcting the chin protrusion and shape with a chin implant, it is possible to correct significant curvatures in the chin area. Ideal candidates for a chin implant in Turkey are healthy men and women with chin problems.
What Happens at the Chin Implant Consultation?
At the first meeting, the surgeon conducts a comprehensive examination to analyze the patient’s initial condition and select the most appropriate surgical technique to achieve the best aesthetic results. The doctor will pay special attention to the proportions between the chin and face, the degree of dysmorphia, and skin type. Patients with a slanted chin may have the following conditions:
- Inadequate projection of the chin is limited to cosmetic defects only.
- Prognathism: Excessive development of the maxillary complex and upper dental arch compared to the mandible, which, in addition to aesthetic defects, also determines poor occlusion problems. You may also select an additional surgery using a chin implant to correct the projection of the slanted chin definitively.
As an alternative to the chin implant, temporary chin augmentation can do as follows:
- Injections of a unique hyaluronic acid filler that reabsorbs after about a year
- Lipofilling technique, i.e., injection with a micro autologous fat cannula, part of which (approximately 30%) reabsorbs over time
What are the Risks of a Chin Implant?
In healthy patients, the chin implant procedure can have unforeseen complications in general. Statistically, we can say that the onset of severe complications in people in good general condition, whose preoperative clinical examination doesn’t show relevant changes, is almost theoretical.
Like other types of surgery, a chin implant involves risks and uncertainties and a specific rate of complications. They can cause anesthetic complications (which you will discuss with our surgeon), particular difficulties, and generically identifiable risks common to all interventions.
Among the possible general risks, it is essential to remember these chin implant procedures and common and possible ones in any surgical intervention: Bleeding, hematoma, infection, minor skin necrosis, and allergic reactions may occur. Each of these occurrences can have varying degrees of severity, from the mildest to the most severe:
- Moderate bleeding is expected, with minor blood loss accumulating on the protective gauze or in the oral cavity. The outflow of blood prevents it from getting into the tissues, resulting in bruises and prolonging the convalescence period. In case of excessive blood loss, wound, or oral bleeding, you must inform your surgeon and sometimes return to the operating room to control the bleeding and stop the blood flow.
- Hematomas are deep blood accumulations caused by bleeding in the chin implant area. They can occur 24-48 hours after a chin implant. These are accompanied by sudden increases in volume and severe localized pain in the chin. By suction, the doctor drains them, or they may require a partial opening of the surgical wound. In case of a certain amount of bruising, the surgeon should remove the implant, stop the bleeding, and the expert should put the prosthesis back on.
- Infections are sporadic. After the chin implant, you will control this problem with the drug treatment that our specialist will apply. If the initial antibiotic treatment fails to prevent the infections, the prosthesis should be removed and waited several weeks or months before reattaching.
- According to studies, there have been reports of previous patients’ allergic reactions to patches and stitches. They usually have little clinical significance. Generally, systemic responses to drugs taken in the perioperative period are more serious. Severe reactions may require additional medical treatment.
- Damage to deep structures is scarce. During chin implant, your nerves and vessels may damage by the procedure. The damage and associated symptoms (including decreased sensitivity of the skin of the chin and lower lip) may persist for several months after surgery and are rarely permanent.
- There may be delays in wound healing. Sometimes surgical wounds open, delays in recovery, and, more rarely, skin necrosis in surgical areas are observed. These conditions may require increased dressings and possibly surgical repair (with additional scarring).
- Abnormal skin marks are also among the risks. Keloid or hypertrophic skin scars can be treated with cortisone injections or surgery. However, it takes 1 or 2 years for the scars to fully mature.
- You may experience a loss of sensation in the skin. Caused by compression or injury to a nerve, it can be temporary or permanent.
How will You Prepare for the Procedure of Chin implant?
For a chin implant, it is necessary to wait for the general growth of the face to complete, and this doesn’t happen before the age of 18. In case of severe deviations or deformities in the chin and significant changes in chewing, surgeons can also operate on adolescence.
Before the chin implant, our doctor performs some tests and analyses for you to determine your physical fitness. Also, before proceeding with corrective intervention, our doctor may recommend that you undergo an orthodontic dental examination, which should usually include an evaluation of occlusion or chewing. In exceptional cases, an allergic assessment will be necessary.
It would be best if you informed our doctor about ongoing drug treatments (especially cortisone, antibiotics, tranquilizers, sleeping pills, and stimulants) and homeopathic and phytotherapeutic medicines. Also, report possible allergies to antibiotics and medications in general.
You must stop taking acetylsalicylic acid medications (Aspirin, Cemirit, Vivin C, Ascriptin, Bufferin, Alka-Seltzer, etc.) or vitamin E at least three weeks before the chin implant. The simultaneous intake of oral anticoagulants is considered a contraindication for intervention.
We recommend you quit smoking, which negatively affects skin and tissue vascularization, at least one month before. Smoking restricts blood flow to the skin and can affect healing processes. Studies have shown that the incidence of complications is about ten times higher in smokers. It would be best if you immediately informed our doctor about the possible onset of cold, sore throat, cough, skin diseases, and potential situations that may endanger the calm and attentive course of the chin implant.
You should do a deep cleaning the day before the chin implant. You should remove the make-up from your face and precisely the previous evening. It would be best if you didn’t put any make-up on your face on the day of the chin implant. You must fast for several hours from solid food and drink.
What is the procedure for Chin Implant?
Follow for chin implant procedure steps in Turkey:
The chin implant procedure is a surgery that can perform under general anesthesia. Regardless of the process, you will not have any pain during the operation, thanks to general anesthesia.
The surgeon chooses the technique according to the cases and individual preferences. Each surgeon’s experience makes them prefer specific application techniques and patient management methods. The intervention usually takes between 1 and 2 hours, depending on the style chosen by the specialist. Complex situations may take longer than this period. For chin surgery using implants, two main routes of administration are recognized:
- Submental approach, where the incision make externally, approximately 4-5 mm below the natural submental fold
- The situation is different in the intraoral approach or the mucosa. It is cut vertically at the level of the canine teeth, approximately 4-5 mm below the placement of the attached gingiva on the oral mucosa.
In the first case, after the surgeon makes the incision, the skin and subcutaneous tissues are mobilized with a separation from the underlying skeleton to the lower border of the mandibular symphysis dividing the insertions of the platysma. Next, the doctor exposes the periosteum from the mandible along the symphysis. Precisely and symmetrically, a pocket is thus usually packed in a subperiosteal plane.
The surgeon made the pocket where the surgeon placed the implant so that the implant would be placed directly along the mandibular border and would not extend higher than the labia and chin. Next, the doctor stitches the open area together, bringing together the submental fat and the platysma muscle fascia.
It is a complex intervention, not a routine uniformity, in that the chin implant cannot be completely standardized, as is often the case with plastic surgery but is customized to individual characteristics. Chin implants are available in a wide variety of sizes and shapes, and there are also different types of materials from which chin restorations produce.
The advantages of a chin implant include availability, ease of insertion through a small incision, complete tissue tolerance, and reduced or intangible evidence of the prosthesis after healing. The implant shape and volume choice aim to give a harmonious result, and surgeons prefer it to correct the defect.
How is the recovery for Chin Implant?
In the first days after the chin implant, you may feel a stinging or throbbing pain in the chin area, which you can usually control with common painkillers and anti-inflammatory drugs, which resolves spontaneously within a few days.
- We recommend keeping your head elevated (semi-sitting) for a few days. Applying an ice pack by avoiding direct contact with the skin in the operated area is beneficial.
- If the surgeon has made an intraoral incision, moderate bleeding from the mouth is expected within the first 48 hours and is normal. Anesthesia can identify decreased mobility of the lower lip accompanied by difficulty closing the lips entirely and a feeling of anesthesia in the dental arch. These phenomena usually disappear within 24 hours after surgery. If a submental approach uses, you should keep the dressing in place for the first week and avoid the mandible as much as possible.
- With any procedure, some degree of edema associated with extensive bruising along the neck occurs after surgery. Swelling and bruises will become more evident within a few days after the chin implant. Without complications, everything returns to normal in a week or two.
- Some discomfort may occur due to the inability of the chin to open due to stitches and edema.
- We recommend you don’t open your chin entirely for one month after chin implant surgery in Turkey. It would be best if you also rinsed with mouth disinfectants for dental cleaning when it comes to an intraoral approach. You can gradually resume using a manual toothbrush, and you will have to wait about two weeks for electric toothbrushes.
- It would be best if you didn’t keep your head down for a few days (for example, it’s a good idea to keep your neck straight while bending your knees to stoop to pick something up or stooping to tie your shoes). Also, don’t take alcohol, food, scorching drinks, and aspirin-like medicines for at least 15 days. You must reduce or eliminate smoking. Finally, it is unwise to perform physical exertion and intense pushing maneuvers in case of constipation, which can cause an increase in blood pressure and therefore bleeding.
- During the first few weeks, be careful not to get up at night without a light. It is also inconvenient to play with animals such as dogs. In addition, catching children in your arms and going to very crowded places can also put you in uncontrollable situations. This can lead to direct jaw traumas. Also, avoid direct exposure to the sun or intense heat (e.g., sauna). In direct sun exposure, we strongly recommend high sun protection (50+).
- After two days of a chin implant, it is possible to take a purifying shower with no overly hot water. After a few days, the hair can be washed and dried with warm air, preventing the dressing from getting wet.
- In addition, according to the type of your job and your socialization needs, don’t start the work activity before the recommendation of your doctor. However, in most cases, we recommend resting for at least a week.
- Avoid sports for about two weeks to avoid pressure changes resulting in the risk of bleeding or bruising. Then after 3-4 weeks, you can resume any sports activity, including modest ones, as long as it doesn’t expose the chin to possible trauma.
When Will You See the Results of the Procedure?
As we mentioned earlier, the outcome of chin implant intervention determines by the choice of the surgeon’s behavior and a variable number of factors.
These are related both to the selection of the size and shape of the implants and individual ones, such as the underlying bone structure (thickness and shape of the bones), consistency and quality of the skin, shape of the face, and age: General physical conditions, quantity, rate of defects that need to be corrected, and hormonal effects. Therefore, the extent of improvement is determined by the initial situation, regardless of the technique used. Therefore, chin implant results in Turkey are much better for some people, depending on the mentioned factors.
Under normal conditions, postoperative swelling and bruising will decrease significantly within a few weeks. You cannot understand the final result until at least six months after the intervention. Any corrective intervention will need to program at the end of this recovery period.
While using all the information available in state of the art, it is rarely possible for minor irregularities or imperfections that are obvious in most cases but not apparent to an outside observer to remain during the chin implant procedure. Secondary corrective interventions are possible if these irregularities are clinically evident or in the presence of more significant profile deformities or shape asymmetries.
The result you will get with a chin implant in Turkey is permanent. But remember that the tissues stretched by the implants are still subject to the physiological processes of aging and the force of gravity.
As already stated in the introduction, it is a medical and surgical action. Since surgery isn’t an exact science, you cannot predict the percentage of healing of the defect to be corrected and the extent and duration of the outcome with certainty. These events depend not only on the surgical techniques used but also on the quality of the remaining scars and the occurrence of possible complications, as they rely even more on the body’s responses—spots placed in the mouth not seen at the entrance to the gums with the mucosa. Over several months these scars show greater consistency and firmness on palpation.
When external scarring is needed, it is reasonable to expect proper healing with a decent scarring quality and isn’t very visible. Especially in this operation, our surgeon camouflages the skin scars well.
The quality of scars varies from month to month and mainly depends on individual skin responses. Some patients may significantly rarely develop red or raised scars due to excessive tissue reactivity. Therefore, enlarged scars that last even a few months or that are permanent (hypertrophic scars) or usually colored appear more quickly. Their visibility usually decreases over time. This is an unpredictable event, albeit rare.
How Much is a Chin Implant?
Chin implant costs in Turkey can be very variable. Prices largely depend on how extensive an operation will be. It varies from hospital to hospital, so it should not be surprising if you get different offers if there are chin implant prices in some other clinics in Turkey. It might be a good idea.
iMed Medical, which specializes in this type of treatment, is very reasonable in prices. If you want information about chin implant prices in Turkey, you can contact us immediately and talk to our experts. You can ask any questions you want to our experts. You can call us directly, write on WhatsApp or choose our live support line.
We look forward to meeting with you.