Duration of surgery
Duration of hospitalization
Length of stay in hotel
Gastric bypass aims to reduce the size of the stomach and bypass a large part of the digestive system by creating a small pocket in the abdomen through which food passes into the small intestine. This accelerates the feeling of fullness and satiety, reducing the amount of food eaten and the number of calories consumed. In addition to cases where obesity is a risk factor for specific diseases or who could not lose weight by other methods, gastric bypass surgery can perform when the Body Mass Index is 40 and above.
This procedure is considered the gold standard for weight loss operations. Gastric bypass surgery reduces the size of the stomach and allows food to bypass part of the small intestine. This surgery will help you feel full more quickly than when your stomach was in its original size. This, in turn, will reduce the amount of food you eat, reducing the calories consumed.
Skipping some also absorbs fewer calories. This will lead to weight loss. During normal digestion, food passes through the stomach and enters the small intestine, where most nutrients and calories are absorbed. It then passes into the large intestine (colon), and the remaining waste products excretes.
A Y-shaped gastric bypass creates using the gastric bypass, which reduces the amount of food you can eat. The smaller stomach connects directly to the middle part of the small intestine, bypassing the rest of the stomach and the upper part of the small intestine.
Though very rare, gastric bypass in Turkey can cause dumping syndrome when food moves through the stomach and intestines too quickly, causing nausea, excessive sweating, syncope, and diarrhea. You should stop smoking and its derivatives long before the surgery and inform your doctor about all the medications and nutritional supplements you take.
Gastric bypass surgery in Turkey is based on creating a small pocket at the upper end of the stomach and reducing it using surgical presses or plastic bands. The small stomach is then directly connected to the central part of the small intestine (jejunum). Thus, food doesn’t pass into the rest of the stomach and the upper part of the small intestine (duodenum). The gastric bypass procedure can do by making a large incision in the abdomen or by laparoscopy. Most people can return to everyday life within three to five weeks after gastric bypass surgery.
What is Gastric Bypass?
Gastric bypass, also known as Roux-en-Y gastric bypass, is a type of slimming surgery in which a small part of the upper part of the stomach is cut and separated from the rest of the stomach. Then the surgeon cuts off a portion of the beginning of the small intestine and connects the small intestine directly to this shrunken stomach.
Our surgeon has developed several different methods to reattach the bowel. For this reason, there are several other gastric bypass procedures. Any gastric bypass surgery leads to a significant reduction in the functional volume of the stomach. This accompanies by a physiological and physical change related to food.
The operation indicates treating morbid obesity (a BMI greater than 40), type 2 diabetes, hypertension, obstructive sleep apnea, and other medical conditions. Weight loss from the operation, which is usually severe, significantly reduces comorbidities. Experts found that the long-term mortality rate in patients who had this surgery was reduced by 40% compared to those who didn’t have the surgery. As with any surgery, complications can occur. A recent study revealed that 11% of patients experienced difficulties due to gastric bypass surgery, and only 0.2% of patients died within six months of surgery due to complications.
Who are Ideal Candidates for Gastric Bypass?
The gastric bypass procedure in Turkey is very effective in losing weight. However, only in some instances our doctor recommends it. Our specialist performs this surgery only in cases where diseases caused or affected by extreme obesity threaten the patient’s health. Problems caused by obesity include knee pain and back pain.
In addition, gastric bypass surgery can prevent the progression of the disease in patients with obesity-related diseases such as type 2 diabetes, heart diseases, high cholesterol, gastric reflux disease, and cancer. Ideal candidates for gastric bypass in Turkey are men and women with a Body Mass Index higher than 40 BMI.
Although guidelines sometimes differ, this surgery usually offers when a BMI is 40 or more or in the presence of comorbidities such as diabetes and hypertension when a BMI is 35 or more. In addition, if you have a life-threatening condition or disability related to your weight, our doctor may recommend it. Our doctor may consider gastric bypass surgery only if you haven’t been able to lose weight with other treatments. The following conditions may also be necessary, or at least our surgeon may consider:
- People with a BMI of 40 or more.
- People with BMI 35 or more have one or more obesity-related complications.
- Gastric bypass surgery is one of the most dynamic obesity surgeries.
- Gastric bypass surgery in Turkey is suitable for patients addicted to candy, chocolate, soft drinks, and ice cream, all foods the body absorbs quickly.
What happens at the Gastric Bypass Consultation?
Our surgeon will evaluate your health at the gastric bypass consultation. During this evaluation, our specialist will ask you questions about your medical history, medications you take, and surgeries you have had. Our doctor will perform special tests such as EKG, X-ray, and blood test for you. You need to adjust a diet two weeks before surgery, including:
- Foods should not contain sugar
- Limit carbohydrate intake
- Increase protein and vegetable consumption
- You should drink more fluids
- For clear liquids and broths
- Consume only one protein drink throughout the day
- Talk to your surgeon about stopping the medication
What are the Risks of Gastric Bypass?
- There are complications with gastric bypass, other weight loss procedures, and any other surgical procedure. It can expose a person’s health to potential short- and long-term risks. Before proceeding to gastric bypass surgery, consult our surgeon. Our specialist will give you all the necessary guidance on the risks and complications of this procedure so that you can make an informed choice. Gastric bypass risks are similar to other types of stomach surgery and include:
- Abundant bleeding
- Adverse reaction to anesthesia
- Blood clot
- Lung or breathing problems
- Digestive tract leakage.
- Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia)
- Not enough feeding
- Gastric perforation
- To vomit
The complications and risks of this procedure aren’t limited to the above. Before deciding on this procedure, make sure that the benefits of this procedure outweigh any potential complications. In other words, ensure the bottom of the scale is in your favor, and then move on to gastric bypass surgery. Among other complications of this slimming procedure, we can mention:
- Dumping syndrome: After gastric bypass surgery, you may experience dizziness, bloating, nausea, indigestion, and diarrhea 10 to 30 minutes after consuming sugar-rich foods. This condition is dumping syndrome and can lead to an inability to consume sugar-containing foods. The cause of this syndrome is that food enters the small intestine too quickly from the stomach due to surgery and changes. People who are very obese often have gallstones. After gastric bypass, the probability of these stones coming out increases.
- Gallstones: Most gallstones cause by high cholesterol levels, which are associated with obesity; therefore, people who are morbidly obese and have had gastric bypass surgery may already have gallstones. Rapid weight loss after gastric bypass increases the risk of gallstones and related complications.
- Beauty: There is always the possibility that you will not be satisfied with the results of gastric bypass surgery for aesthetic reasons. For example, as a result of rapid weight loss, you may notice unsightly excess skin. The specialist will explain the treatment options to you at the table in such a case.
- Bleeding and bruising: You may experience bleeding during or shortly after surgery. You may also experience bleeding two weeks after surgery. Bleeding and bruising are usually minor. If you have heavy bleeding, call our doctor right away.
- Leakage: One rare but severe side effect of gastric bypass surgery can cause leakage from the stomach incision to the pouch. This can cause stomach contents to irritate other organs and lead to severe infection. After gastric bypass surgery, you must be under the close supervision of our specialist and report any problems and complications to the doctor.
- Infection: All surgeries carry a risk of disease. Our doctor will do everything to reduce this risk. Even if an infection does occur, it will be mild and can treat with a short course of antibiotics. In some cases, the disease is more severe.
Finally, gastric bypass surgery in Turkey rarely causes death. This operation can have various and even dangerous side effects that are unlikely to occur, such as anastomosis! However, it is sporadic to cause death. The success rate of this surgery is 99.8%, which is a high success rate, and you can get sound effects and results. In a few cases that lead to death and failure of the procedure, it does less harm to the body than the extreme obesity that the patient tolerates. Imagine that severe obesity can cause underlying diseases that can be fatal over time. However, if a skilled doctor performs this surgery, it doesn’t really threaten you too much, and you will save from a dangerous disease called obesity.
How to Prepare for Gastric Bypass Procedure?
Remember that if you want to do this surgery, you must consider some things! One of them is to take the steps before gastric bypass surgery seriously and do each one. Some of the precautions that are better to take before gastric bypass surgery in Turkey are as follows;
- Try to read different books and learn more about this surgery. Find out the positives and negatives about the changes it will make to your body.
- If you want your surgery to be effective and feel better after the surgery, you should start changing and improving your lifestyle.
- Incorporate exercise and healthy eating into your program and take care of the new body that presents to you.
- Get psychological and physical health counseling to ensure this surgery is successful.
- Smoking is a nasty habit and can cause many problems for gastric bypass surgery. Quit smoking and add healthier days to your life.
- Research the cost of gastric bypass surgery and make sure you can afford it.
- Consult those who have had gastric bypass surgery and understand their concerns.
- Try to watch videos about the procedure and understand the operation process by watching these videos.
- Start eating less.
- Wherever your mind is busy, and you cannot think well, wherever you are experiencing problems and stress, consult an expert and untie your mental knots. This can help you a lot.
- Read more reliable and scientific articles on the Internet and try to increase your knowledge about this surgery. Patient preparation has a significant impact on the effectiveness of this surgery.
What is the procedure for Gastric Bypass?
Gastric bypass surgery in Turkey performs in two ways. In the first method, our surgeon makes a large incision in the abdomen and operates on the stomach and intestines. In another technique, the surgeon inserts a small laparoscope camera into the nucleus. Thus, the specialist performs laparoscopy by seeing the inside of the body. Usually, for laparoscopic gastric bypass surgery, the surgeon makes four to six small incisions in the patient’s abdomen. The specialist performs gastric bypass surgery to lose weight through these incisions. The image of the laparoscope microscope displays on a screen in the operating room. Accordingly, surgeons can examine the internal organs without making large incisions in the stomach.
The laparoscopic method has advantages over the classical approach. These include a shorter recovery time, less pain after surgery, and a lower risk of infection in surgical wounds. If you want to know how long the gastric bypass surgery takes, we should say that the surgery takes about 2 to 4 hours in this method. In the section below, we have provided a comprehensive guide on gastric bypass surgery procedures in Turkey. Before going into the main stages of gastric bypass surgery, it is worth remembering that our skilled surgeon is the most critical step in performing it. This surgery is a severe and relatively dangerous operation and should perform by a professional and competent doctor. Otherwise, there will not be a good result:
Before the operation, you will meet with our anesthesiologist. Gastric bypass surgery should perform under general anesthesia. This means that you were completely asleep during the surgery. After waking up gradually, you may feel sleepy for several hours until the effects of the general anesthetic wear off completely. You may experience impaired memory or concentration for a day or two, but you will return to normal in time.
There are two ways to perform gastric bypass surgery in Turkey. Some surgeons prefer to use the old method and make large incisions. However, most gastric bypass surgeries involve keyhole (laparoscopy) incisions, which involve inserting an instrument through 1 to 5 small incisions in the abdomen. These incisions are small and minimally invasive, leave a small scar, and heal quickly.
During the first consultation, our surgeon will give you complete information about the incisions to be made during the surgery because incisions can be made in different positions depending on the size and shape of your body.
After making an incision with any available techniques, the surgeon makes an incision in the upper abdomen to reduce the stomach. This creates a walnut-sized pouch that can hold only 30 ml of food. At the same time, this normal stomach has a capacity of about 1 liter (or 1000 ml).
The next step will be to cut the intestine. As we said, a part of the beginning of the minor intestine cuts, and then the tiny intestine connects to the small pouch left from the stomach. This causes food to skip most of the stomach and the beginning of the small intestine.
After surgery, the surgeon uses stitches to close the incisions and closes the incisions with a bandage. The doctor may place a drain in the abdomen to prevent any swelling. Before you discharge from the hospital, the staff will determine the time for your next visit. After the operation, our hospital staff will transfer you to the general service of the hospital. You may feel dull and sleepy for a few hours, but after this time, you will be fully awake; this is because it takes some time for the effect of the anesthetic to wear off.
The surgeon will prescribe appropriate pain relievers for you. You should expect to stay in our hospital for three days after gastric bypass surgery. You may have many restrictions on eating and drinking during this period. Our surgeon may recommend taking vitamin and mineral supplements during this process.
What are the Advantages of Gastric Bypass?
The advantages of gastric bypass in Turkey aren’t only limited to getting rid of excess weight but also to healing many life-threatening diseases associated with severe obesity:
- Long-term improvement for type 2 diabetes: Studies have shown that gastric bypass surgery results in long-term improvement in type 2 diabetes. This study shows that the procedure is highly effective for these patients. This ensures that all patients stop taking insulin and other related medications for at least three years after gastric bypass surgery.
- Improves cardiovascular health: This procedure reduces the risk of coronary heart disease, stroke, and peripheral heart disease. One study reported that weight loss from surgery could help prevent stroke risks, high blood pressure, and myocardial infarction-related deaths. After surgery, blood pressure and cholesterol levels can return to normal, which reduces chances and improves overall health.
- Relieves depression: Many obese patients feel depressed due to poor body image and social stigma. Younger patients have difficulty participating in activities their peers enjoy, leading to social isolation and depression. Losing that extra weight can improve the emotional health of these patients.
- Eliminates sleep apnea attacks: Losing and maintaining excess weight allows people with sleep apnea to stop using the CPAP machine before bed.
- Joint pain relief: Excess weight puts pressure on weight-bearing joints, often causing chronic pain and joint damage. Losing excess weight helps to improve the condition of the joints.
- Reduces stomach volume: One of the primary purposes of gastric bypass is to minimize the importance of the stomach. With this, weight loss becomes a fast process because your stomach doesn’t have the capacity for more food and cannot take more food in one meal. So it stops, can’t digest more carbohydrates and fats, and sends them to the gut. This issue plays a vital role in weight loss.
- Food takes a shorter path for excretion: When food takes a quicker way to be eliminated, it moves faster and stays in the body for a shorter time. This problem reduces absorption times. When your body can’t absorb as many nutrients from food, you lose more weight. The body doesn’t get a chance to get more nutrients, and you’ll get less fat.
- The amount of hormone and the metabolism of intestinal function change: After gastric bypass surgery in Turkey, the amount of acid secretion and hunger hormone secretion changes, and this is due to the reduction of stomach volume. You see, everything in the body’s digestive system works like dominoes. For this reason, when the stomach volume decreases, the amount of acid secreted from the stomach decreases, and accordingly, the amount of hunger hormone secretion decreases.
How is the Recovery After Gastric Bypass?
Immediately after gastric bypass surgery in Turkey, you will be on a clear liquid diet for two weeks and then switch to a pure diet. The food will be too soft to pass through the newly formed sac and stomach. Getting enough fluids is one of the main points to be considered during this period:
- You can expect to switch to a regular healthy diet approximately 3-4 weeks after gastric bypass surgery. You should chew food carefully. It would be best to learn to drink most of your fluids between meals, not during meals.
- You should continue to learn to eat correctly, knowing that eating unsuitable foods such as sweets or fatty foods isn’t suitable for you.
- You will experience the fastest rate of weight loss during this period. You will usually be happy to see that you sometimes lose 5 to 10 kg of weight per month. Although your hair will start to grow back in a few months, some people may experience hair loss.
- After gastric bypass surgery, patients follow long-term weight maintenance diets, which is one type of food and how they eat for the rest of their lives. A weight loss diet consists mainly of regular table foods. But it should be in smaller quantities.
- We strongly recommend regular follow-up. You may join support groups to reinforce the lessons you will learn after gastric bypass and the procedures that worked for you in the first two years. This procedure’s long-term success requires teamwork from you and our surgeon.
How is the Weight Loss Process After Gastric Bypass?
Now you have learned gastric bypass surgery in detail and know the procedure. This surgery is like stapling the stomach in the middle, dividing it into two unequal parts. When your stomach divides, the minor part becomes your main stomach and connects to the intestine. Now you have a slight belly that you can’t fill too much even if you wanted to. So what happens next? What is the weight loss process like after gastric bypass?
In this process, your stomach shrinks, and your food volume decreases. Therefore, you eat less and therefore absorb fewer calories. Thus, your weight will decrease over time. Another thing that happens is that your body absorbs less of the food you eat. Because your stomach has changed and the amount of absorption from the intestine has also been affected.
In addition, the level of some intestinal hormones increases, and your satisfaction with the food you eat increases. So you will be full faster. With these events, your body will start to lose weight quickly, and you will see an exciting result after the operation.
When are Gastric Bypass Results Seen?
It would be best if you exercised regularly to get the best results after gastric bypass surgery in Turkey. It would be best if you also ate healthily. Make sure to downsize your meals. Make sure you have enough fiber and protein in your diet. You also need to take some supplements, vitamins, and minerals (such as a multivitamin with iron, calcium, and vitamin B-12); because your new, tiny stomach can’t get enough nutrients from the foods, you eat.
In the first few weeks after the surgery, our specialist will give you the necessary advice on what you should consume. In addition, the surgeon may refer you to a nutritionist. Consult your doctor for proper nutrition after gastric bypass.
Most large studies of gastric bypass surgery have reported that people who have the procedure lose 65-80% of their excess body weight. The most clinically significant findings include a dramatic reduction in comorbidity:
- Hyperlipidemia corrects in more than 70% of patients.
- Essential hypertension ceases in more than 70% of patients, and in the remainder, the amount of antihypertensive drug usually decreases.
- Obstructive sleep apnea improves significantly with weight loss, and bariatric surgery may be a treatment for sleep apnea. Snoring is also usually reduced in most patients.
- Type 2 diabetes resolves in 90% of patients and results in average blood sugar levels, usually without any medication, sometimes a few days after surgery.
How Much Does Gastric Bypass Cost?
The gastric bypass cost in Turkey varies greatly depending on the payment method, country, surgeon, hospital, and surgery technique. However, gastric bypass prices in Turkey are very affordable. You can get your dreams’ unique and aesthetic look by contacting us immediately. We look forward to meeting with you.